Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cambodia, Kampuchea, Kamboja...

May 2008..

I decided to go Siem Reap, Cambodia (where Tomb Raider was filmed), all alone. I knew no one, I knew nothin.. I just simply booked ticket and accomodation via online. When I was about to go, everytime I told people about my trip, they would be like 'What?? Cambodia? War? Chaos, riots? What r u gonna do there? R u insane?'... But trust me, its exceptionally pretty.

The hostel cost me around US$10/night/person for 6-bedroom dormitory. But it was really clean, nice, neat and organized. The breakfast was excellent. The hostel provided 6 laptops with internet connection, for FREE. It was really great.. I stayed there for 4 days/ 3 nights. When I arrived, the tuktuk (Cambodia traditional cart) driver brought me around the temples. I got the 3-day pass ticket to go around the temple areas at US$40 (FYI, everythin is in USD). It's impossible for us to explore the whole area in a day, it's huge, tremendously.. I rented tuktuk at $15/ day. But I was too tired so I went back to hostel at 5pm and chilled there.

Then, suddenly a caucasian girl came in. I just said hi, tryin to be friendly.. She was kind and nice to talk to. What a coincidence that we booked the hotel via same website on the same day for the same period. In short, we got along pretty well. We went out and had dinner together. Oh my God, the food in Cambodia was scrumptious. I don't really eat rice, but Cambodian rice is soooooooooo tasty and chewy.. Yummy yummy yummy..

The next day, we went out together and enjoyed our times. I was so lucky to find her as she could help me taking pictures and also cut my expense for Tuktuk. Thank God...

The forth day, I just managed to write her a letter as she was still sleepin when I left early in the morning. She's Australian who currently lives in London. She's 9 years older than me, but she looks young... anyway...

I really enjoyed my time in Siem Reap. It was really relaxing. I am looking forward to having a chance to go back there again.

Notes:
1. It's perfect for pre-wedding photo shoot...
2. It's only a small & old-fashioned city, but trust me the airport is much better than Jakarta International Airport.
3. Visa on arrival for Indonesian costs around US$20
4. Airport tax US$25 (credit card accepted), I know it's pretty surprising..

No comments: